The presentation was pretty nifty. They went through a hello world scenario on how to use the new UI capabilities and create an application on the platform that could break away from the UI looks of traditional Salesforce.com. Overall the technology is pretty good.
Scalability and dependability of the platform needs to be seen when multiple types of applications get hosted on this platform. A few questions I had that Salesforce.com has not answered yet:
- How are non-Salesforce.com users going to access these third party applications that providers would like to host on the Force.com platform?
- How is this Force.com platform going to be priced? This will be an interesting challenge.
- Now -> Available for Developers to start creating applications
- Q1 2008 -> First customer pilot with a select list
- Some time in 2008 -> General availability